Tuesday, June 19, 2012

Kids and Crikets

Dinner with our tuk tuk driver.
Alicia having fun!

We honestly did not plan the pink :)
Bria and Christy are ready to work!
Our new Cambodian friends fed us crickets!  YUM!
We think they're yummy too! :)

From Bria:
Wow! What an absolutely awesome day. From teaching English and playing go fish, to eating at Daughters of Cambodia (yum!) to playing games and sharing God's love with the kids at the Watt (park)  to trying barbequed cricket (yum) and ice coffee (not so yum for me) and then finishing it with street food with our tuk tuk driver Hun (delicious Cambodian noodles). This trip, (all three days so far) has been a whirlwind of ups and downs in terms of emotions and what we have seen and experienced. Yesterday seeing S21 and the Killing Fields, and then going to HPC (Hard Places Community) and hearing about all the boys they help was pretty hard to swallow because it was a lot of sadness. Yet today we had a blast with the kids, and though they come from some horrible situations, playing with them at the park is a time of joy and love. My favorite memory so far was when I picked up a little girl who was really small and really light and I spun her around three times. Then when I put her down she started walking and wobbled slightly. I quickly made sure that she didn't fall but the image of her walking  dizzily was one of the cutest things I've seen in a long time. Also, her (slightly) older brother who was not much bigger just captured my heart when he came up to me and reached up to be held and as soon as I bent down to pick him up he just got limp to ensure that I did pick him up. It just melted my heart :) Along with all these happy but sad moments we've also had a ton of fun as a team. God truly did handpick this team, Michaila, Christ, Alicia, Keli and me :) We're a great group and we will have so many memories together after this trip. Though it has only been three days they have been a full three days, and we have a little less than two weeks to go! Woohooo!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment