Friday, June 29, 2012

HOPE! (Written by Christy)

I can hardly believe that today was our last full day here in Cambodia. It has been an incredible trip energized by love and covered by all your prayers. The last two days we've spent in a beach town called Sihanouk Ville debriefing over all the experiences we had during this trip. Mrs. Schoon gave us a few hours of solo time and I quickly found my self crawling out to one of the rocks surrounded by the fresh ocean water. It was so nice to be sitting there with the waves splashing against the rock, the peace of the secluded beach, and of course the beautiful sky stretching off into the distance.  I can't tell you how nice it was to have that time to just think and process what I have seen and heard during this trip.  It's not every day that you encounter poverty and brokenness face to face. And it's not every day that you see the hurting past of a country carried into the present. As a team we've been able to discuss what will happen once we arrive back in Tianjin and how hard it is to leave when we do still see the hurt.  We were asked to journal some pretty tough questions during our solo time, and Mrs. Schoon asked me if I could blog what I wrote. So I hope you enjoy reading pieces from what I wrote during my solo time as well as some after-thoughts.

What did you learn about yourself and how you see people?

The people that I saw and met on this trip always seemed to remind me of people I already know. At first it was hard to see and understand that they were truly being trafficked. But slowly I began to see things. One girl in particular really struck me.  While driving down the road in our tuk-tuk we saw one of the girls we met at the Wat.  This time she was far different. She was driving down on a moto behind a man, her head down limp because of the heroine she was on.  She looked so desperate...so used. It was like the girl full of energy and openness was just gone.  Like she wasn't really there.
We sat there watching the moto drive off, without words. What could we do? Pray.

I think to a certain extent, because of the struggles I've been through I see people equally and with value that God has given them. I know they are so precious to Him. I see them with HOPE in mind. I know that God is enough. I think of Seenat and how he knew that God wanted him to live in a place that was poor. How he became thin from only eating lotus from behind their house. But God was enough for him, and He provided. He is hope. And He loves this girl so much.

A significant experience:

Praying for people at the village was really neat. It was cool that we were invited into their lives in that way. Praying with them cemented in my mind how God is the God of all. He heals all diseases no matter big or small. Despite all of the cultural differences, He is what we have in common. He brings us together.

What were three hard things that you experienced during this trip?

Seeing all of the heartache was really hard. But I also really struggled with some questions and thoughts.

I think of my testimony and how different it is from their stories. It almost made me feel selfish. As I look forward to what I will do in life, there seems like there is such a need in Cambodia. Should I give up what I felt originally felt called to do because there seems more of a need here? Maybe I shouldn't counsel TCK's who are going through tough situations?  But as Kelly and I talked we discussed how hurt is hurt. God will guide me right on the path He has for me.  I found Psalms 138:6-8 really helpful.
"Though the Lord is on high he looks upon the lowly, but the proud he knows from afar. Though I walk in the midst of trouble you preserve my  life; you stretch out your hand against the anger of my foes, with your right hand you save me. The Lord will fulfill his purpose for me"

It was hard for me to see how people could hurt people in such a terrible way.  Something I think I still need to process even as I go back home to China.

And as I go home, it's hard for me to come back to what now seems like luxury. It's really hard to know what to do miles upon miles away. Alicia shared three things Becki encouraged her to do.
1. Pray for what you've seen
2. Think about purchases
3. Raise awareness
4. Sponsor financially
5. Think of things you can do where you are.
(maybe this can encourage you too even after reading this blog! :)

Did you see God at work in Cambodia. If so, how?


I absolutely loved answering this question because there was so much to write. 100% YES!  There were so many NGO's here in Cambodia.  It was so awesome to also see that they were really supporting the men, women, and children, through not only financial support and jobs, but good Christian counseling. I really saw God at work in Chab Dai as well, because that organization really helped bring people back together, letting all the NGO's work with each other. The staff and leaders in all the places we went were amazing. They were so focused on God and could love the kids so well. Knowing that their work continues as we leave is such a blessing because I know that God is working through them and they have things under control.  Going to the churches was also amazing because of the light that just burst through those places.

With all of this in mind, there is HOPE in Christ. He is in control in Cambodia. He is just amidst this injustice, and he is all-powerful. He is always enough and in Him we are more that conquerors. "Let justice roll down like a river" (Just-tees, our team tee)


No comments:

Post a Comment